Sunday, January 27, 2008

Laax. Flims. Falera.

"Don't be put off by the unfortunate local name for 'peak', which is 'crap'. All the mountain tops are called crap, a top après-ski venue is the Crap Bar and the tourist office has used the slogan 'Flims is crap' in promotions."

Snowboarding. Tag zwei.
Unfortunately for us, Flims sustained high winds and icy conditions, shutting down the top slopes and gondola on Sunday. Luckily for us we had a good five hours of snowboarding anyway. Our first run from the Naraus lift was a bit slim(#1), but opened up into a broader
slope down the hill a bit(#10). Still we were bombarded with better skiers and were unable to practice our turns on the first run.

Second run from Foppa to the T-bar area was fantastic(#4). Three runs and we were carving beautifully. I went over some small hills and tried both jumping and doing a 360. I fell. Then I got up and tried again. Biggest learning: going straight and keeping my weight centered. Feeling more at home on the board.

My board. This week we went to an unassuming snowboard shop in the basement of an older gentlemans' house in Hinteregg. I am now the proud owner of my own boots, bindings, board. David and I are free from rentals. SO nice.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I'm so glad you guys are going for it with the snowboarding! Wish I could be there to see the progress!

I laughed really hard at your t-bar account... I'll have to relay that story to Christina, who has an irrational fear of t-bars. Last time we went on one, she panicked and hyperventilated so hard it sounded like she was an actor in the Blair Witch Project. I was in hysterics, doubled over laughing, which didn't help our situation of tenuous balance. I hear they have a lot of t-bars in Europe :)

The snow here is spectacular... so I hear. It's been snowing so much, in fact, that the Pass has been closed and nobody is able to make it up there. I had to cancel our SOS ride day that was supposed to happen this evening. Sigh. If only I lived at the mountain I could be enjoying the four feet of freshies.

Well it sounds like you're doing great! I'll try to get on Skype a little on Sunday, but I'm probably headed to Baker for the remainder of the weekend... if we can get up there :) Ciao ciao bella!