Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Yoga Praxis.

The Plan.
Begin quietly in sukhasana, easy or cross legged pose. Take the conch shell mudra, an introspective hand gesture conjuring the shape and feeling of reflection, of inner secrets. This recurring theme throughout the practice will lead us to a meditative practice of Metta, or loving-kindness.

The practice will pick up vinyasa flow through several basic poses to generate heat and breath awareness. Trikonasa, Virabradrasana I & II & III. Ardho chandrasana and parsvo ardho chandrasana. In between the vinyasa flow emerges quite a challenging practice. Halfway through everything slows down for backbending, forward bending and meditation. And finally savasana.

What Went Wrong.
Having been asked the night before if I could teach class Friday night was startling. I thought about it while I went through my usual Thursday night yoga practice, but I already knew the answer five minutes after I was asked. I had to be crazy not to take the opportunity...to put myself out there. Scary or not.

After having agonized over, mapped out and memorized the plan, I took the tram down toward my studio. I switch to a bus at Kunsthaus. Upon disembarking I realize...I don't have any pants. Well, I am wearing corduroys, but I didn't bring my yoga pants I had carefully laid out on the bed! Could I return home? Could I call David and have him bring them? OH, no! I have forgotten my phone as well and it is too late to rush home. Then I let it go. What can happen? I have to teach my first class in cords. No problem. I was going to take it in stride.

Luckily when I got to the studio, I called another of the teachers. She brought me a pair of pants and stayed for my first class. She asked politely, realizing that it may be more stressful to have her in my class. I paused, then thought. I want to be a teacher that allows the unexpected to happen. I want to be a teacher accessible to all. Nerves are not a good excuse. This is my life...live it!

In the end I may have forgotten some parts of the plan during the class. The beginning was rushed and I had to add poses toward the end. Egal. Nicole and Susanne came up after and the highest praise a brand new yoga teacher can get..."That wasn't your first class, was it?"

No comments: