Thursday, October 16, 2008

Und 31.

Locarno.

31 amid the Italian Swiss in the mountains above Locarno. Fall color bursts out in this still warm climate. In Switzerland there is another classic collection. Coffee cream tops. An illustrated book is intriguing, but I am not up to the Italian conversation. I am ready, however, for 1.5 pizzas per day.

Ascona.

400+ steps up and further up the Roman steps atop Ascona. Phew! Apparantly, Ascona is home to the only tea garden in all of Europe. We stop by the traditional tea house and walk through the Camellia sinensis plants in an outdated commune before retreating down the steps toward the city. A maroni festival fills the cobbled streets along the lake. "Chestnuts roasting on an open-fire" taken up a notch. Plus I received a birthday surprise...a huge grape vine ripe for the picking. Concord grapes are called Uvo Americana Tecinese.

A highlight was a lovely dinner at Albergo Navegna. Expensive for Locarno, this beautiful lakeside Hotel is still quite a deal by Zürich standards. Definitely recommended.

No comments: