Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Fiorenz a Roma.

Fiorenz.
We passed the gelato
shop several times before actually finding our hotel. Without an address to guide us we overlooked the small printed sign taped beside the bell in a narrow row of buildings in Fiorenz. We called after the fourth or fifth time around the block. Ah, number six. "We will be there in a minute," we replied, walked across the street and rang the bell. Wait. I have a question. When something has a lot of little things is it full of little things or is not full at all? I am not sure, but Italy is filled with tiny signs amounting to almost no signs at all.

Our hostess answered our first important question. Where is the best gelato? It turns out we already know. We passed it six times on the way to the hotel. Now it is not fifteen meters away. Nocciola. Pistachio. Fior d'Latte. Incredible. Three gelati later and we decide to skip dinner.

Figline.
After a full day of sightseeing including two extra famous museums, the Uffizi and the Academia, we hop on our bikes and get out of town. This is the sentence in which David is almost hit by
a car while riding in the bicycle lane which happened to be on the sidewalk painted in red; the driver, of course, pulling out of a parking lot.

Our destination being 30km farther we hurry on to the hills. And get lost. Not once or twice. Many times. And with hills. I can write only how difficult it was. Tired and drained, we finished our final hill of the day at the agriturismo. I was three minutes from breaking down when we finally arrived.

Do you know the Beatles? Well, the first bright notes of "Here Comes the Sun" broke through the weight of "I Want You(She's so Heavy)" quite early in our trip. An hour late by way of every other road in town, we finally arrive to our a perfect dinner. Stumbling in to the dining room, we are treated to a fresh, homemade, vegetarian three course meal. Homemade wine. And a gaggle of German tourists and conversation. Lovely.

Toward the end of the meal yoga is mentioned. Hmmm? Our hostess has an ongoing practice at 7-8 in the morning "I do yoga," I reply. "Well, maybe you can teach us!" And so I did. Seven German women some of whom speak no English at all. One who has been practicing yoga daily for years and six who don't know what it is. And me.


To be continued...


No comments: